Saturday, March 21, 2009

sad news

As I may have previously mentioned, every Friday I eat lunch with a group of long-time friends. Once upon a time, we all attended the same church, which is how we met and became friends. Yesterday, at lunch, one couple told the rest of us that the wife has pancreatic cancer. This is devastating news for all of us. Somehow, we managed not to cry while we talked about it, but inside we were all crying and screaming, "unfair!" This woman has always taken care of herself. She exercises regularly and plays tennis. She and her husband are world travelers, often going to places where they have to rough it, having wonderful adventures. We are all praying that she may have many more years and adventures before she leaves us.

Here's irony for you: One of my book clubs has been reading Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture". Pausch died from pancreatic cancer. My friend is also a member of this book club, but has not read the book and probably won't be at the club meeting tomorrow. Just as well, I think. Pausch's book is actually not depressing. He focuses on telling his children about his life and gives much good advice for living and achieving one's dream. I finished reading the book last night and sat there crying for Randy Pausch and his family and for my friend and her family.

As I write this, I realize that I have three friends with (incurable) cancer. There are probably others, whom I don't know about. I can't help wondering how I would react if I were diagnosed with a fatal disease. These women are so strong and brave. I think of Dylan Thomas' "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Dark Night" and John Donne's "Death Be Not Proud." My friends will not sit back and wait to die. They will fight with all their strength to stay alive. I am so proud of them.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Please know that SOME do survive pancreatic cancer. I have a friend who had it and was told the worst prognosis and she is now nearly 8 years post-surgery for it and doing very well. Let's hope your friend is also in that same group as my friend.

mumzy said...

That "C" word is one no one wants to hear regardless of the kind. It does not discriminate who it attacks. My daughter was only 28 years old when the doctors told her she had breast cancer. It was devastating to her and her hubby and to us. DH and I have only one child. She had a masectomy and reconstructive surgery and now has almost nine years cancer free. However, she always lives with the fear that it will come back. Cancer can be beaten if caught early enough, so hopefully, your friend will be able to fight it.
Just be there for her if she needs to talk about it, and some do want to talk about it.
{{{Hugs}}}