Monday, May 30, 2011

A holiday weekend

I've been busy this weekend, hauling summer decorative items up from the basement and taking down the spring decor.  There is more summer stuff than spring things.  Lots of stones from various beaches here and abroad, seashells collected over many years in Florida, and the blue glass from my art glass collection.  At this point, the room is decorated with all the summer things, but the empty boxes are still piled up on the couch.  Amazingly, I didn't do any damage to my back.  I always try to be careful lifting boxes and evidently this time I was successful.  I'll take a few photos of the displays.  The displays change somewhat each year, although the items stay the same.


I also did a bit of gardening, clearing out more weeds in the back yard.  I need to pull up a few more violets and  cut down a nearly dead forsythia bush, but that's about all that's left to do back there.  I really enjoy gardening, but the nicest part is sitting outside admiring what I've created!  When it's beastly hot outside, as it will be later today (90s), I can sit below my deck, where there is always shade and the temperature is much cooler.  If only my neighbors' A/C units weren't so loud!  Mine is very quiet, thank goodness.

On Saturday, we had a farewell party for friends who are moving to North Carolina later this summer.  I see this couple almost every week, so we haven't said goodbye yet, but the party was for old friends who don't see them regularly.  It was a good party, with time for socializing.  I managed to get caught up with some folks whom I only see at weddings and funerals these days.  It's a sad fact of old age that we get together more at funerals than any other time!  I'm sure it only gets worse.  Ah, the joys of aging.



Today is a holiday for me, since the rec center where I teach ceramics is closed.  I really enjoy teaching that class, but still I enjoy an occasional break from it.  I have nothing planned for today, but I'm sure I'll find something that needs doing.  Checkbook reconciliation, perhaps?  Checking credit card statements?  Cleaning floors?  The house is full of things that need to be done.  Too bad that none of them is fun!

2 comments:

Deb D said...

I cleaned my car so you can ride without sneezing thru the dog hairs

mumzy said...

You have been very busy with all the changing of the decors and the outside work.

Isn't it fun getting together with old friends especially if it is not for funerals.