Monday, May 2, 2011

Raku firing

Saturday, I spent all day at the Montpelier Arts and Crafts center.  It was their annual tea and herb festival.  The ceramics department demonstrated Raku firing all day.  I managed to get three of my pieces fired.  I'm sure I've explained Raku firing previously.  Pieces are fired in a small kiln with a removable lid. Using tongs, we transfer our pieces into garbage cans partly filled with straw, dry grass, leaves, etc.  The red hot piece ignites the straw and we put the lid on.  The straw uses up all the oxygen in the can, creating reduction firing.  We get really interesting effects with this process.  The fun part for me is that we can't predict exactly what the finished piece will look like.  I'm happy with two of my pieces, but the large mask doesn't thrill me.  I like the guy's beard and hair, but his skin color isn't what I wanted.  It's too dark and dull looking.  Maybe I'll refire the piece next time.  I really like the fanged rabbit - the orange color was a surprise, but a nice one.  And the little pinch pot (bowl) has lovely swirls of color on the outside, which can't be seen in the photo.  The black loops on it are where there was no glaze.  In Raku, all unglazed surfaces turn black.


 Yesterday was a busy day for me at church.  I had to set up the coffee hour stuff mostly by myself, as the other person on the committee was away.  It was complicated by the fact that we were not in the usual room, but in a smaller space.  Luckily I had a couple of the kids to help me.  These girls are very efficient, so we got everything done in time, thank goodness.  We wouldn't have made it, except that our service ran late.  It was our annual 'Holy Humor' Sunday.  We dress in silly clothes and hats, some of which rivaled the recent Royal Wedding display.  The minister and congregation tell funny stories.  It's a fun way to celebrate the Sunday after Easter. 

1 comment:

Deb D said...

I love your little pots with the coil around them - will you bring some of those for sale in June at Maker's Market?