Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Yard work is play for me

Yesterday was such a beautiful day for being outside.  I got the front yard edged.  Of course the grass is growing like weeds (maybe because there are a lot of them in among the grass), so it will need to be mowed soon and then I'll have to do the edging again!  Sometimes I pray for a dry summer, so the grass will stop growing. 




Anyway, after lunch I went shopping for flowers.  I tried several of the local discount stores, hoping to find some bargains.  Walmart was a real disappointment.  Their plants were not in good shape, although I got some marigolds and petunias.  Home Depot wasn't much better.  I find that if I get to those stores on the day a new shipment of plants arrives, there is a reasonably good selection.  The rest of the time, not so good.  Anyway, I had quite a few plants purchased last week from a local fruit, vegetable and plant stand, so I had plenty to do.  I still have a few pots to fill and need some more annuals for the back yard flower bed.  Maybe I'll go to Benke's on Friday.  They are the local nursery with the best selection, but they are also the most expensive.  I always find more than I intend to buy when I go there.  Here are some photos of the pots on the deck.  And I have another iris blooming out front - a pink one.  Spring is such fun with new flowers opening up every few days. 

Today I went out again to see if I could find a few more plants - specifically sweet potato vines and some spiky plants.  This time I tried the Home Depot in Columbia. They are usually much better supplied than the store in Laurel.  They did have more plants, but not as good a selection as I remember from last year.  I think it's a bit early.  They will get more later this month.  I found most of the items I wanted, so I'm in pretty good shape.  It was cool and wet today, so I didn't get these plants into pots.  I'll wait for another warm day when it's comfortable to work outside.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Your plantings are looking really nice. I've enjoyed our nice days but today was kind of crappy weather.....and a good bit cooler, too (which I didn't like at all).