Wednesday, May 25, 2011

more blooms

Not much happening here this week.  I did get in a walk yesterday, around Lake Elkhorn.  Not a turtle in sight, but did spot a swimming animal.  I think it was an otter, as it seemed too small for a beaver.  Most of the animal was in the water, which made identification pretty tough.  I keep forgetting to take my binoculars with me when I do that walk.

Today's photos show some new blooms - the dark red/purple clematis, some yellow yarrow and a bush that has lovely white blossoms and a wonderful scent.  I think the bush is Mock Orange.  (I knew its name when I bought it!)  It's in a pot on the deck and seems happy there.  I can smell the lovely scent when the sliding door is open.  (Note for fellow gardeners:  the big leaves you see near the Mock Orange are from a rhododendron in a nearby pot). 

I did a bit more yard work yesterday.  Mostly it was pulling out wild violets from flower beds - front and back.  They are very difficult to uproot, due to underground tuber-like roots.  I really like the violets, but they have taken over the flower beds this year.  Must be all that rain we've been getting.  Anyway, I'm sure I left plenty to bloom next spring! 

This weekend, I plan to take down the spring pictures and knick-knacks and put out my summer display of shells and blue glass.  Probably won't get to that until Sunday afternoon or Monday, as Saturday is filled with a farewell luncheon for friends.  They are moving to North Carolina.  I'm really going to miss them!

Today I woke up at 5:30 and not being sleepy, just got up.  I don't usually rise quite that early - thank goodness!  However, it does mean I can get quite a bit done this morning before I have to leave.  Of course, I should stop messing around on the computer and do some 'work'.  Bye.

3 comments:

Deb D said...

Maybe I can grow violets!!

Kathy said...

I'm sure you could. They love shade. I'm probably going to dig some more up. Do you want me to bring some?

mumzy said...

Finally we are starting to get some of our Spring flowers blooming. You are so much ahead of us up here in the North. Lovely pictures!