Wednesday, May 11, 2011

where have all the turtles gone?

Yesterday, I walked around Lake Eklhorn.  There was not a single turtle sitting on a log!  Not one!!  I don't understand it.  The day was warm and sunny, just the kind of day they are usually out sunning themselves.  Very odd.  However, there were other wildlife to see.  The Canada Geese have their goslings out and about.  I saw three family groups.  Goslings are covered with soft gray down.  None of them were in the water.  I think they are perhaps too young for swimming lessons.  Maybe next week they will be swimming.  The parents are very protective, so I stayed away from them.  Anyway, I was busy looking at where my feet were and thus avoiding stepping on the gobs of shit the geese leave on the sidewalks.  They are incredibly messy birds! 

I bought a few more plants yesterday.  Didn't intend to.  I went to Home Depot to get mulch and top soil.  Unfortunately, those items are in the garden center, which is filled with plants.  They had a better selection than last week.  I only picked up a few new ones.  The strangest thing I did was to buy a hanging basket filled with wax begonias.  Wax begonias don't belong in hanging baskets - they don't hang over the edges; they just sit upright.  Furthermore, I never buy hanging baskets that are already filled. However, I needed just one more basket to put out front.  I already have the plants to go in it.   HD had no empty hanging baskets.  So, I bought the one with the begonias (it was pretty cheap) and will empty it, planting the begonias somewhere and using it for my hanging plants!  As my grandmother used to say, "There's more than one way to skin a cat".  Actually, I can't imagine anyone skinning a cat.  That's a very strange saying, isn't it? 


Today, I plan to walk again after lunch.  I'll try a different lake for my stroll.  

1 comment:

quiltingnana said...

maybe they are in my garden....I have lots of "garden" turtles...but they are cement or ceramic I am afraid