Saturday, May 2, 2009

Loot

Every once in a while, Patty and I go out on a Saturday and hit all the neighborhood yard sales. And about every 3 months, we spend a Saturday visiting antique stores - not the ones near here, which are very expensive, but ones further out in the countryside. Today we did both in one day! We started out with local yard sales and found a really great one at an elementary school up the road a few miles. We also found a few individual sales in Columbia and Laurel. When we finished, it was not yet noon and we both wanted to do some more shopping, so we decided to head up to Westminster, MD to an antique mall. Also up that way is a nursery that features native and old-fashioned plants. Patty wanted to go there, and I didn't mind, as I also have a fondness for interesting plants. Finding the nursery was quite an experience. We didn't have trouble, exactly, because Patty had brought her GPS and the voice on it (we call her Ethel) gave us very good directions. However, it was an adventure because we drove on ever increasingly narrow roads, which were eventually just one lane. When a car approached us, one of us backed up until we could pull over and let the other pass. We crossed the same railroad track three times within a quarter mile and were beginning to think we would end up in someone's farm. And we did - Cedar Creek Farm is the name of the nursery! LOL They had wonderful plants and we both found some special ones to take home. (I'll try to take photos of the plants at a later date.)



After the plant purchasing, we had lunch at an Applebee's and proceeded to the Westminster Antique Mall. There we found a "few" more treasures. Pictures of my loot from the yard sales and the antique place are below. It was a day full of fun for both of us and will satisfy my urge for bargains for some time to come (I hope!).


Here is the fabric I bought at the yard sale. I got all this for only $9! Quite a bargain!





Below are the birdhouses I found at the yard sales. I love the one in the middle - very chic!


This last picture has items from both yard sales and antique stores. The little, odd looking animals are made from metal bells. I'm thinking they will be Christmas ornaments for Kate and the grandkids. The Charles Chips can is a very small reproduction of the original cans. (I have a couple of the originals in my cupboards.) I am especially pleased with the glass horse (on the right, but hard to see). Glass animals, except for swans, are unusual. Anyway, that's the loot.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Nice bargains for you today. I have some of those kinds of bell animals and think they are very cute! I went to yard sales today but they were disappointing...that happens sometimes. *sigh*

quiltingnana said...

a very productive day...I wish I could have found those bird houses!!