Sunday, May 2, 2010

back garden progress - slow


Yesterday afternoon, we went searching for dogwood trees. Not in the woods, but at a nursery. Unfortunately, they were practically sold out. We hope to have better luck with some other nursery. Didn't have any pink ones, which is what Patty and I both want. However, we did not come away empty handed. Fat chance of that! I bought a lovely dark red clematis and something for shade that I have never seen before - bigleaf goldenray (Ligularia dentata Desdemona). I'll post a photo of it. It's really cool with red stems and big leaves. Will have yellow blossoms later this summer. I also bought some annuals, nothing unusual - marigolds, coleus, and purple heliotropoe. This nursery is fairly expensive, so I restrained myself, somewhat. Now, I need to get out and put my purchases into the ground. The backyard plants will have to wait until I get the soil amended. Using the wheelbarrow, I have hauled the bags of manure/hummus around to the back. The other bags are much heavier and I may need help with them. I'm not sure I can even lift them into the wheel barrow. If it doesn't rain today, I will find out.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Please be sure to show us that new plant again when it has flowers on it......never saw that kind before!