Friday, May 7, 2010

a work in progress






I'm going to put up some photos from my gardens. Mostly blooming plants, but also the decorations on two trellises. No vines on either trellis so far, although there will be morning glories on the one in the front yard (the white one). I know this because they were there last year and I can see the little seedlings coming up already. Once you get them started, morning glories are a very aggressive vine. They were everywhere last year, but I tried not to let them go to seed in some places. Hopefully, this year they will just grow where I want them. This AM, I worked outside for a couple of hours. I did some more enriching the soil in the back and dug a hole for the clematis. Believe me, when you have clay soil, digging a hole even a foot deep and wide, is a real accomplishment. Haven't planted the clematis yet, but will do so later today, perhaps. In the process, I managed to pull a muscle in my back (the same place that always gets pulled.) I really wasn't doing anything that I thought was strenuous. Obviously, my body disagreed. Oh well, back to the painkillers!

The bush with the dark pink blossoms is a budeleia. I'm rather uncertain how to spell its name and spell check doesn't know either. Anyway, it's a lovely plant, except that it has a rather straggly growth pattern. Long waving branches going off in all directions. Still, it is spectacular when it blooms. The other flowering plant is the blue clematis, which I may have shown before. The color isn't quite true - actually it's darker than the photo. I didn't take a photo of the new, dark red clematis, but it actually has one beautiful bloom on it now. Unfortunately, it won't get planted today, as I can barely walk now (4 PM). Hopefully by tomorrow my back will have improved enough for me to continue gardening. Back to the photos - the other two are show the trellis in front (white one) and the one in back. I haven't decided what to plant to grow on the one in back. It's on the deck, so the plant will have to be in a pot. I had a honeysuckle there for the past 8 years, but it wasn't doing well and finally just about stopped blooming. Maybe not enough sun. So, I'm not sure what vine to try next. Perhaps I'll just leave the trellis as a privacy screen and put more little gardening things on it.







1 comment:

Pat said...

I love how you decorate those trellises....SO cute!!!