Sunday, May 23, 2010

more plants - yikes!

I think I need to join 'gardeners anonymous' if there is such an organization.  I obviously am addicted to buying plants!  Yesterday, Patty and I drove to another nursery - Homestead Gardens.  This is a huge nursery, the biggest we've visited so far.  They have a wonderful selection of plants and who could resist?  Not me!  I got one of the bushes I want for the back yard - a pink butterfly bush.  Even managed to get it into the ground before the rain yesterday evening.  I bought a couple of other perennials and several trailing plants for some of my hanging baskets.  Patty bought a pink dogwood tree!  I thought about getting one myself, but have decided not to put a tree in the backyard.  Instead I will get a crepe myrtle which can grow quite tall.  However, the selection will be better in a month, so I'll have to go back.  (A real hardship!)  We were almost sure that the tree would fit in my van and it did, but it pretty much blocked the rear window.  The tree moved a bit every time we went around a corner, so I kept seeing leaves in the mirror.  However, I drove carefully and we got home safely.  On the way home, we stopped for lunch at Bob Evans.  They serve breakfast all day.  I love those kind of places.  I had waffles with strawberries, sausages, and a fruit smoothie.  Not a very healthy lunch, but I did eat a salad for dinner last night.

At home, Patty managed to get the tree out of the trunk, with difficulty.  The root ball was very heavy.  Luckily our new neighbor was outside and he carried the tree over to her house.  Of course, now she has to plant it. Digging holes in our soil - clay with rocks - is no picnic!  That's one of the reasons I am not buying another tree.  I did plant one in the front yard some years ago.  Once was enough.  It's supposed to rain all week, I think, but I am hoping for a break some afternoon, so that I can get more topsoil spread and get the rest of my plants into the ground. 

No comments: