Tuesday, May 4, 2010

for gardeners only







All I have blogged about recently is my flower gardens. So, if you aren't interested in gardens, skip this blog.

Yesterday, I stopped at another garden center and looked at trees. They had lots of dogwoods, even a few pink ones, but sadly, I've decided I don't have the space for one. They don't get really big, but anything with a 20 foot spread is too big for the space I have. So, back to the drawing board. I could put a Japanese maple in the space. They are relatively small and slow growing. They don't have colorful blooms, but the foliage is wonderful. I saw one I really like, with multi-colored foliage. It costs more than I wanted to pay - close to $2oo. I'm always afraid to spend that much money on a plant, because it may die. However, I think I may do it anyway. I will look a bit further to see if there are any tall skinny trees available. I don't want another arborvitae, I already have one of those and it also was damaged in the big snows we had.

I did manage to haul all the bags of soil and etc. around to the backyard on Sunday. Now all I have to do is dump the new soil and mix it with the clay that's already there. It shouldn't be too hard on my back, I hope. Once that is done, I can plant a few things. If it doesn't rain this afternoon, I hope to get to work out there.

I took some photos of my iris, but at this point I can't get Blogger to upload them. Ok, obviously I did get it to work, but I had to go into edit mode to do it. However, I can't get the photo of the coral colored iris to be right side up. You'll just have to turn your head! LOL I've had other troubles with Blogger recently. I can't cut and paste text within my blog. I don't know if it's my server, Blogger, or something to do with Windows 7.

2 comments:

Deb D said...

wonderful Irises!

mumzy said...

Love the pictures of the Iris. We finally got daffodils to bloom this week. You obviously have warmer weather than us.