Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So far, so good.

This week, I've tried to be careful of my back.  On Monday, I went to aerobics, only to find that the class was on break - starts again next week.  So, having all that free time, I went shopping.  I bought garden soil (3 bags) and potting soil (2 bags) and just a few more plants.  Also, thistle seed - not for the garden, but for the goldfinches.  When I got home, I, put on my back support,  got the wheelbarrow out and carefully, transferred two bags from the car to the barrow, carefully unloading it out back.  Repeat.  I haven't opened the garden soil yet, but I've gotten into the potting soil.  So far, no back problems.  However, today I bought two bags of mulch.  They are bigger and therefore much heavier.  They are also, still in the car!  I'll have to get help with them - probably Patty will lend a hand some evening this week.  Meanwhile I have more or less organized which plants go into which hanging baskets and have some of them planted and hanging out front.  There will be a couple under the deck, as well.  Heavy shade there, so not as much watering required. One basket will contain fuchsia.  I love the look of this plant, but have not had good luck with them.  They require watering every day.  I'm hoping that being under the deck, they won't dry out so fast.

The bush with the white blossoms is, I think, a syringa (however that is spelled).  It has a sweet smell and it's in a pot right by the door from the dining room to the deck, so I enjoy it any time the door is open.  I don't recall the names of the plants in the two wicker hanging baskets.  I bought them because I was looking for trailing plants.  I'm not sure if they bloom or not.  Guess I'll find out this summer.  The yellow plant that is growing in the front garden is yarrow.  It was very sprawly, so I put one of those odd-looking metal ring things around it to try to contain the blossoms.  Next year I must remember to put the ring thing on before the plant gets so tall!  There isn't much else blooming out front just now, but the lilies are budded and will be gorgeous in another week or so.

Since I am feeling fine this week, I"m back with my regular schedule - taught ceramics on Monday, went to the class where I am a student this morning.  MAD chorus rehearsal tonight.  Church library tomorrow AM.  Dentist tomorrow afternoon.  Pottery class at Montpelier Arts Center Wednesday PM.  Hospital gift shop on Thursday.  Last week, someone was asking if I would like to play bridge once a week.  I could actually fit it into my schedule, but I think maybe that would be the straw that broke the camel's back!  I do need a couple of afternoons when I can do something in the garden or around the house!

3 comments:

mumzy said...

Great photos. Lovely plants. You still sound like a very busy lady.

Pat said...

Isn't it funny how we can be busier when retired than we were when working fulltime? Of course, now it is FUN kinds of busy (unlike when working). I'm glad your back seems fine so far...so keep doing things the way you are....very carefully!

Deb D said...

flowers are beautiful!