Saturday, January 17, 2009

Baby, it's cold outside!

Well, I got back to normal (see Monday's post) and have discovered that I have nothing much to write about! When in doubt, talk about the weather. It's been in the 20s (Farenheit) for the last several days, although I think it is due to warm up into the 30s for the Inauguration. Brrrrr. You won't find me watching on the Mall! Not that I would even if it was warm. I am very uncomfortable in large crowds and consider going into DC next week to be a nightmare. I just hope the traffic jam and the crowds aren't as bad as predicted. If I watch the ceremonies, it will be in my nice warm house! Speaking of a warm house, I have once again discovered the wonders of solar heating - i.e., sunshine coming into my living room through my new storm door. My thermostat is set at 66, but the room temperature is at 73! It's lovely. For a few house, my heat pump won't be running.

Yesterday I had lunch with the 'Friday lunch bunch' (a group of long-time friends). We were joined by the daughter of one of the couples (now living in Pittsburgh). Elise is a graduate student at the University of Maryland and will be going to Antarctica next week to continue studying penguins. She went a few months ago as well. It's summer in Antarctica and the temperatures will actually be as warm or warmer than here. However, with all the snow on the ground that they have to wade through, the brave scientists will feel pretty chilly. It amazes me what today's generation of young people are doing. Such a wide variety of careers, spread all over the world. Definitely makes for a hopeful future.

Yesterday, I purchased paint for the kitchen/dining room. It's a beige color, just a bit warmer than the almond color of the appliances. I found a darker shade that I also liked, but am saving that for next year when I plan to repaint the living room. The two rooms run together along one wall, so the colors have to look ok together. Anyway, I now have paint and a new roller, but need to get spackle and a sash brush (the kind with a the bristles cut on a slant). I don't buy really expensive brushes, as I've found it's easier to just throw them out after a couple of uses and get new ones. (A professional painter actually recommended I do that.) I will start today removing all the many shelves and stuff hanging on the walls, so that I can spackle all the holes from them and from the pictures and antique kitchen tools also hanging on the walls. If you are getting the idea that I have lots of stuff on display in my kitchen, you are right. The biggest problem is where to put all the bits and pieces when I take the shelves down! I think my living room will look as if I am having a yard sale. I hope to get the painting done next week, although it will have to be in bits and pieces, as I don't have any free days during the week. I will take photos when it is done. I'd better stop procrastinating and go shopping now.

Stay well and warm.

2 comments:

mumzy said...

Oh yes, we know about the cold weather in New Brunswick this week.

Good luck with your painting and we are looking forward to seeing the finished product.

There will be lots of media coverage so I'm sure you will be able to see the Inauguration in a more comfortable and warmer place at home.

Have a great day.

Pat said...

Happy painting to you. The worst part is taking all the "stuff" down and keeping it "someplace" and then putting it back up when the painting is all done and dried. BUT...you'll be happy with the new look, I'm sure. Good idea to stay away from all the madness that will be in your area over the next few days!