Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More home improvement

I've been painting the walls in my kitchen/dining room yesterday and today, so I'm really tired tonight. I have taken some before and after photos, but they will not get up tonight - maybe Friday. You don't realize how much stuff you have until you have to move it all into another room - or in my case two other rooms. The painting is almost completed. Still have about an hour more to do. Unfortunately, tomorrow is my volunteer day at the hospital gift shop and then choir in the evening, so the painting will have to wait until Friday. I'll have to live with the mess until then. I have managed to clear off half of my dining table, so I could eat properly this evening. I've been eating at a little table in the living room, and was lucky to have that space. The coffee table and the sofa, a chair, and another little table are filled with things from the kitchen and from the coat closet, which also was painted. The kitchen is functional again, with storage containers and appliances back in their proper place. It looks very bare, however, as I haven't put up any of the decorative shelves and other stuff. I may rearrange a bit and not everything will go back up. (I've already discarded the bulletin board). The hutch in the dining room is still pulled out from the wall because I can't move it. My neighbor pulled it out for me and he will have to push it back, now that the wall is painted. I did manage to move the refrigerator back into it's slot in the corner. It is on rollers, so once I got it past the heat duct, it was easy to move. I am sitting here now, admiring my freshly painted walls., I have to admit that the color isn't quite what I expected. It's funny how colors change from the sample to the wall. I thought it was rather beige/tan and it's really more on the yellow side. It's a different color in the daytime when the sun is shining than it is at night. However, I like the color, so all is well. I have been know to repaint a wall when I couldn't stand the color, but luckily I don't have to this time.

I took time out yesterday to watch the Presidential Inauguration. (Went next door to see it on their big TV.) It was an astonishing sight to see over a million people jammed on the Mall. I was very impressed with Obama's speech. He certainly is a good speaker and he didn't mince words.
I found it very moving, actually. I can't remember the last time I had strong positive feelings about a President - maybe Kennedy. It almost makes me wish I were still a government worker - almost, but not quite! I like retirement too much to want to go back to work, no matter how worthy the cause.

3 comments:

Pat said...

I bet the freshly-painted kitchen is going to look terrific once you get some of your decorative things in place. Can't wait to see photos!

quiltingnana said...

Isn't it the truth that as we get a little older the painting jobs seem to get larger??? I bet your room will look great

mumzy said...

It sounds like you are getting your painting done quite quickly. We are still in a mess here and the crackfiller guy is not coming for another week or so.

I have to agree with you about Obama. Hope he can continue to impress everyone. Retirement - there is no better life. Being a former government employee myself, I am so glad to be out of there.