Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Yep, I did it - took down all the Christmas decorations in my living room, including the tree, yesterday. (I still have lights and garlands to remove from the top of the kitchen cabinets.) It took all afternoon, as I had to haul empty boxes up from the basement and then back down when they were filled. With the Christmas stuff packed away, I brought up the boxes that contained my black and white items - mostly pottery - and began arranging (and rearranging) the items on shelves and tables. I'm still rearranging, but will settle them by this evening, probably.... Yesterday evening, my next-door neighbor called to invite me to come over and see her new dining room table and chairs - they are gorgeous! - and stay for some New Year's cheer. I ended up being there until after midnight, as various other neighbors dropped in. We nibbled on goodies and sipped wine and finally toasted the arrival of 2009 with champagne. I have to admit that I sipped a bit too much wine and felt somewhat the worse for it this morning. What's amazing is that I actually stayed awake all evening. Usually I fall asleep after two glasses of wine. I guess it was the good company (and a number of rather noisy kids) that kept me awake.

Today is cold (brrrr) and sunny. I don't think I'll go walking today, although the wind that was very strong yesteday has died down pretty much. We didn't get any damage around here, but some parts of the metropolitan area had trees come down. Fireworks were cancelled in several nearby cities. I guess people went outside to celebrate anyway, but I prefer to be inside when the temperature gets into the 30s. I grew up in western New York State where winter is cold (minus 20 sometimes) and snowy and I don't miss that at all!

No comments: