Monday, January 19, 2009

Snow flurries?

The weather people reported we would have snow flurries today. I have been looking out through the doors to the deck, and, sure enough, there has been some snow -sorta. I wouldn't call it flurries - that is too active for what I see. A few cute little snow flakes drifting lazily down from the gray skies, to settle carefully on the deck. Since I had thrown onto the deck some pale-colored seed for the birds, it was hard at first to distinguish the snow from the birdseed. So far, the snow has stopped once and then restarted. It has produced barely a dusting on outside surfaces. Maybe we'll eventually get enough to whiten the ground and bushes. Since I have to teach a pottery class today in a nearby community, I don't want a lot of snow. Maryland drivers aren't used to snow, which makes driving on snowy roads especially hazardous. One has to watch out for the other drivers, more than usual.

I have quite a few birds gathering on my deck and feeders today. Many of them, like the cardinals and the juncos, prefer to eat on a flat surface, like the deck. They make an awful mess, so I only put food there when the weather is really nasty and cold. I figure they need a break then. Otherwise they have to compete for food in the hanging feeders. The sparrows and house finches pretty much dominate those feeders, although the chick-a-dees and titmice will fly in, grab a seed and go off to eat it and then come back for more. Yesterday, a wren visited. They are around all summer and often nest in the neighborhood, but I don't see many in winter. I think they prefer insects, which are in short supply this time of year. I've never seen one eating at the feeders, but if I put out raisins or other fruit, they will come to dine. Unfortunately, the squirrels also like the fruit, so the birds are lucky to get any. Squirrels seemingly will eat anything. A neighbor feeds them, so they don't come over to my house too often. My feeders are the kind that are supposed to be squirrel proof. Mostly that works.

I'm supposed to be cleaning and spackling my kitchen/dining walls today, rather than frittering away time on the computer. Guess I'd better get to work. Tomorrow I hope to paint, in between watching parts of Obama's inauguration. This is the first inauguration I've been interested in watching since I moved to Maryland 35 years ago. It's impossible not to be excited about this one. I'm so proud of my country for electing Barack Obama! He has a tough job ahead of him, but I have confidence that he and the country have exciting and successful years ahead.

No comments: