Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wheels again, finally!

Picked up my car last night. It didn't cost as much as I had feared, although still a considerable amount. The car runs very smoothly now and I can't even tell when the gears are shifting. There are a couple of other potential problems with the car, unrelated to the transmission. I'll have to take it in again most likely in a week or two, but hopefully the problems won't be major. However, here's the funny thing - the engine light is still on!! This is the stupid light that comes on when any of 42 different things need to be checked or fixed. My mechanic assures me that this time it has to do with the emissions system and isn't a serious problem. He isn't recommending that I do anything about it, just ignore the light. I sure hope he's right. The light is very annoying, but I suppose after a few weeks, I will no longer notice it.

You don't realize how car-dependent you are until you are without one. Of course, there were two cars in the household when I was married, so I haven't had this sort of problem in many years. I realize that if the time comes when I can no longer drive safely, I will have to look for a different place to live - a place where I can easily walk to stores, post office, etc. Perhaps that time will never come. My dad drove his car until he died, although he didn't drive much the last few years. It's something to think about, however, when planning retirement. Public transportation in the US, even in metro areas isn't the greatest. The English people complain about their trains and buses, but their system is wonderful compared to ours!

So, I'm back on the road. Happy Trails!

2 comments:

mumzy said...

Hi Kathy,
I'm back from Moncton for a while I hope. It has been stressful but hopefully we are on the way to making life a lot easier for everyone. I know what you mean about not having a vehicle. I would feel trapped if we didn't have two vehicles here at our disposal. Hopefully your problems with that light will be fixed with very little expenses on your part.
Zoe

Pat said...

I'm glad you have your mobility back. It is awful not to have a car...even if you don't intend to go anywhere...it feels helpless to KNOW you can't go.