Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Real snow at last.

We really did get some snow yesterday - maybe two inches all told. Trees and bushes look very pretty with their white coats. The cars are not improved, however, by the snow and ice on the windows. I'm glad I'm not driving anywhere today. I'm using the icy roads as an excuse to stay home. Although my sidewalk was very slippery this morning, I'm sure I could drive safely if I needed to. Can't say the same for many Maryland drivers, however. People here fall into two types when it comes to icy roads. They either drive just as usual, which means they slide all over and cause accidents, or they slow down to a turtle's pace, making everyone else impatient and annoyed. The problem is that we don't get enough snow and ice each winter for anyone to learn how to drive on slippery roads. Also, despite all the salt/sand trucks, plowing the roads is not done very quickly or efficiently. Not like New York State where snowplows are everywhere during and after a storm. Oh well, it's not as if we get much nasty winter weather.

This morning, when I went out to get my paper, my neighbor, Will, asked me if I wanted some rock salt. I said, 'yes please', so he got some and started sprinkling it on my steps, which were very icy. His son, who was visiting, said that he could shovel my walk, so he and I did that. It was actually easier than the shoveling I did yesterday, because today, the ice-crusted snow lifted right off, once the crust was broken. It's nice to have neighbors who offer to help with things like snow shoveling. I'm lucky to live in a friendly neighborhood.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I'm glad you have such nice neighbors. Our snow (about the same amount as you had) is now all gone due to higher temps and some drizzle AND we might even have a thunderstorm later....CRAZY!

Local foods, families, and community fun! said...

All this fuss about snow! Nice long shadows and such this time of year. I'll try to attach some to my next endeavor. Still in the teens, but maybe this weekend. Check out this link for some pre-superbowl fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0x3LlWIig

Budweiser horses on Sun!