Tuesday, August 25, 2009

computer problems

Yesterday, I cancelled my old email account. Then I proceeded to eliminate it from the computer. When I was done, I could not get connected to the Internet at all. I don't know what I did, but must have eliminated the wrong thing. So I called Verizon. This was not a successful call. The 800 number they provide covers both telephone and internet service. I had to go all the way through the automated menu and never did find a way to get to an internet tech. I was put on hold for a live person and stayed on hold for about 20 minutes. Note: never call on a Monday morning.

While I was waiting, I used the CD from Verizon to troubleshoot my connection. In essence, this reinstalled my DSL. I then got a connection. Shortly after this, I finally got a voice, on the phone, attached to a live person. I explained to this person what my problem was and she transferred me to a tech person - after a short wait. The tech person spoke very softly with an accent and asked me a bunch of questions that had nothing to do with my problem. I had to ask him to repeat everything. Of course by this time, I didn't really need his help and finally we agreed that I had fixed the problem and we hung up. Everything seems to be working today, so I guess the problem (whatever it was) really is fixed.

Verizon called back later to ask me about the help service. I gave the guy an earful about how hard and time-consuming it was to get through to the Internet technical people and how they need people whose first language is English! He said that many people have complained. Too bad Verizon doesn't care enough about its customers to change their automated system!

Yesterday evening, I pulled up some plants in pots that were about done for the year and replaced them with the mums and iris I bought recently. Almost all those plants from Benke's are in pots or in the ground now - just two more to go!

The woodchuck (ground hog) is still out front, somewhere. I can't tell if he's under my bay window or not. I put some chicken wire under there, so perhaps he has gone elsewhere. However, a few plants have broken stems, so I know he is still going into the flower bed. He didn't seem to have eaten anything, but I moved the new potted plants up onto the steps. So far, he hasn't been up there. The other woodchuck only liked yellow flowers, but this one isn't that picky. I'm thinking about buying some new border decorative fencing. That worked in the past for keeping the critters (except for bunnies) out.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I'm glad your internet connection is restored. I can't think about fall flowers yet...I want summer to stay awhile longer. Did you know 4 months from TODAY is Christmas???