Saturday, August 15, 2009

a slow day

Yesterday, about all I accomplished was to push furniture around upstairs and join my friends for lunch. I moved the bed and dresser in my sewing room in order to make room for a sewing table. I have a desk that holds my sewing machine, and have been moving the machine every time I need to cut fabric. This is a pain in the a**, so I've been looking for a table or desk that would fit in the space at the end of the bed. Not much space there and I haven't found anything small enough. So, I decided to see if rearranging the furniture would create more space. I moved that bed to the corner - no good. Then with the headboard against the windows - not very convenient for opening the window. Finally, I decided to shove it against the far wall, opposite the window, and use the space under the window for the cutting table. I had to move the dresser as well, which meant taking out the drawers, as it is an antique piece and very heavy when full. The floor has carpeting, which makes it even harder to push furniture around. It got too hot (and I was too tired) yesterday to finish the move, so I completed it this morning while it was still relatively cool. The room isn't as attractive looking - looks a bit crowded - but it will be much more convenient for sewing. I very rarely have company to sleep in the guest room, so it really makes more sense to have it set up as a sewing room. I'm happy with the arrangement, although I have to reposition a mirror over the dresser and perhaps move some pictures. Now all I have to do is find a nice table/desk!

I am actually going out to thrift stores today, with my friend Lynne. She persuaded me to help her find props for an upcoming production at the Greenbelt Arts Center. The play is 'Bus Stop' and is being produced and directed by friends of ours. We are searching for 1950s diner props - dishes, glasses, pitchers, cream and sugars, silverware, oil cloth table cloths, etc. I've already looked in the thrift stores in Laurel without much luck, so today we are going to some others near where I used to live. When Kate was in her teens and early twenties, she knew all the thrift stores for miles around and so did I. It'll be interesting to see how they may have changed in 20 years. Perhaps I'll find my sewing table at one of them.

At lunch yesterday, we exchanged travel stories and little souvenirs. Bill and Priscilla have just gotten back from an Alaskan cruise and tour. (They won this trip from chances they bought at the Greenbelt Arts Center. How lucky is that?) They had a wonderful time and are raving about Alaska. It makes me more sure than ever that I want to do this someday. I had to tell them about my trip to Scotland, since they are Scottish. We retired folks do a lot of traveling, although most of mine is to visit family. I think we are all staying home for the next few weeks. I know I'm about traveled out.

No comments: