Saturday, August 29, 2009

whatever

I couldn't think of what to use for a title for this post and then I remembered a word that was my eldest granddaughter's favorite word last year - "whatever". She says this when she is asked her preference about anything. A very blase expression and one-shouldered shrug went with it. Sarah, who is almost 12, has been practicing to be a teenager for the past year and more. I'm sure she will be acting much more teenage in a few weeks, when she enters secondary school. There is no junior high or middle school in England where she lives, so she will be with all those high school kids - great role models - NOT!! I'm glad it's Kate who will have to put up with the upcoming teenage behavior and not me. Grandmothers can just enjoy the kids, aren't we lucky?


This has not been a particularly interesting week at my house. I must have done something on Wednesday, but nothing stands out in my memory. I have to admit, my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Just another of those joys of advancing maturity! Thursday is my day at the hospital gift shop. It's actually fun because I like the women I work with and enjoy brief chats with the hospital employees who stop in to get their daily fix of junk food (mostly candy). I think nurses get their energy from chocolate! It was freezing cold in the gift shop this week. The lobby, which is just around the corner, was hot. Too bad we couldn't have exchanged a bit of our air for theirs. I got permission from the managers to have a paperback book sale next week. We sell donated books (used but in good condition) in the store and I'm in charge of them. (I did the same thing in the thrift shop when it was open. As a former librarian and a voracious reader of romance and crime novels, I'm pretty good at knowing what will sell.) Anyway, we have a surplus of old paperbacks and need to cut back on inventory, as storage space is limited. So, next Thursday, I will cut prices in half and put out as many of the older books as we have shelf space for. Hopefully, we will sell many of them.


Yesterday was the weekly lunch with long-time friends. We've recently added a new member to the lunch bunch. He's a fellow that many of us know from MAD (Music and Drama). Ron is a photographer, recently trying to make earn a living at what used to be his hobby. Very few artists whom I have known can live on sales of their creations. Most of us just create for the fun of it.


Weather here is cooler, but very humid. We are getting some good rains and the wet weather gives me a perfect excuse not to cut my grass! Today I will be helping to paint 'flats' for the upcoming show - Bus Stop. I've been helping Lynne find props, now I will slap paint on panels that will when finished create walls for an old dirty bus stop. Just the sort of painting I do well!

One of these days, when the weather cools off, I have some painting to do in my house. The front door needs to be repainted. And I have finally decided to paint the powder room. The wallpaper that was there when I bought the house is unusual. I find it interesting, but most people upon seeing it have commented very negatively. I'll put a photo up and see what you think. Anyway, I haven't decided on a color yet, but I do know that it will NOT be pink!


3 comments:

Pat said...

I like the print of the wallpaper but am thinking I'd only like it on ONE wall of a small room like a powder room. Is it on all the walls? I'd think that would be overpowering. I'd pick one of the colors and have 3 walls done in that color and leave the paper on the 4th wall. Bet you are sorry now that you asked for opinions!!! LOL

Deb D said...

t - has a "chalk" feel to it but comment of only 1 wall sounds right.

mumzy said...

Pat idea of the one wall feels good to me. I do like the look of the wallpaper but, like Pat, I believe it would be too overpowering unless it was a huge bathroom.