Wednesday, August 19, 2009

too much summer


Actually, it should be 'too much summer HEAT!' I am fed up with temperatures in the 90s during the day. I keep my A/C set at 82, pretty darn hot. It's fine for just sitting around with a small fan blowing on me, but not good for cleaning house or anything else strenuous. Anyway, I decided I was sick and tired of the summer decorations in my living room - mostly seashells and driftwood. So, yesterday, I took down the summer pictures, put away all the driftwood, seashells and ceramic fish, and got out the fall items. This process involves carting four or five empty boxes up from the basement; packing away all the summer things; and then hauling an equal number of boxes full of fall stuff back up. The basement was nice and cool, but I spent most of my time in the living room, which was not at cool at all! I still haven't put up the fall flowers and stuff in the kitchen. (I decorate the space above the cabinets for each season). Maybe I'll do that today.

The photo is of the two paddles I painted the other day. If you want to see more detail, you can probably enlarge them by clicking, but don't forget that I am NOT an artist with a paintbrush. They look better at a distance!! I put clear varnish on them, because they will be outside. Unfortunately, the varnish is discolored somewhat. It was fine a few months ago, but now, it's brown. I wiped a good deal of it off so that the pictures show. The paddles are still sticky, after drying 24 hours, so they won't go up for a while. Since the weather predictions are for thunderstorms all week, it may be a long while. At least the stupid things should be dry by the time I can put them back out!

Yesterday, I made the mistake of reading the various instructions and information sent to me by Verizon. I think I can set up the new system, but I should never have read the 'Terms of Service'. 5 pages of legalese. The only thing I can remember, because it makes me mad, is that they say if either I or Verizon cancel the 2-year contract, I will have to pay the cancellation fee! What a rip off that could be!! I'm tempted to call them and complain. I'm convinced that no-one reads the terms of service all the way through. It's just protection for Verizon - what we called in the government as CYA (cover your ass). No matter what goes wrong, don't blame them!

2 comments:

Deb D said...

Nice paddles - what can they be used for?
Deb

Kathy said...

I don't plan to actually use them as paddles. I will hang them on the beam that supports my deck, ie.e, under the deck. When I look out the basement door, I can see them. And, if the weather ever cools off, I will be able to admire them when I sit outside under the deck.