Sunday, August 2, 2009

holiday in Scotland -first days






This is the cottage. It's on a small road, in a grove of trees with no other houses nearby. The other photo is the view from my bedroom window.

We arrived in Scotland Thursday evening rather later than planned, but no problems. We had a bit of trouble following the directions to the ‘cottage’, but did find it. It was twilight, and the roadside was full of rabbits – mostly alive! Along the way we stopped at a hotel and restaurant. We were all hungry and enjoyed a wonderful meal, including my favourite English dessert – sticky toffee pudding.

Note: There was no Internet connection at the cottage, which is why I have not blogged for over a week. I did keep a journal, which I will put up in segments on the blog. A few photos will be here as well.

Yesterday we did a bit of bike riding along the very small country road that runs in front of the cottage. Almost no traffic, so it’s a great place for the girls to ride the bikes we found in the garage. The only problem was that the bikes are adult size, men’s bikes, so the seats were too high for the girls and for me. Kate, who is the only one of us with practical mechanical ability, lowered the seats so it will be better next time. Yes, I actually rode a bit – up the road a piece and back. I’m very wobbly on a bike, but with practice, I’ll get my balance back.

In the afternoon, we drove to Huntly where we toured the castle. It’s partly a ruin and partly restored. The kids had a marvellous time running in and out of the ruins and climbing up the tower stairs and then down into the below ground rooms. I took lots of photos, which will be posted on flickr when we get back to Kate’s. Turns out, there is no Internet connection at the cottage, so we are not in touch with the rest of the world. This doesn’t bother me too much, but it drives Kate crazy to not be able to find information about the places we might visit. We are reading a lot of brochures.

After the castle tour, we walked back into the village and did a bit of shopping for food with a special stop at a famous shortbread factory. It was very interesting to watch the shortbread being packaged up. They do quite a bit of it by hand and use a recipe that was the founder’s original. We bought some to take home, of course. I’m not very keen on shortbread, but it really is good stuff.



1 comment:

Pat said...

What a lovely cottage...and the photo of Kate and family is a wonderful one!!!