Thursday, January 21, 2010

Found: one leak in car - thank goodness!

I never thought I would be thankful to see a puddle of coolant under my car this morning, but believe me, I was! Tuesday afternoon, my mechanic had looked at my car, for the second or third time, trying to pinpoint why I keep running out of coolant. They couldn't find a leak, but they put some stuff into the system that should fill any pinhole leaks. He said that if it still used up coolant, then maybe the coolant was getting into the engine and burning off and if so, the cost of repair (taking engine out, or something like that) would be exorbitant and not worth it on a car that was 9 years old. Yesterday, when I found an empty overflow container again, I called and was told to bring the car in today for one more try to find a leak. The ground under the car was wet, so I couldn't tell if there had been a leak or not. But, last night I reversed the car into my parking space, in order to have clean pavement under the engine. This morning, I found a puddle of coolant running out from under the car. Hurrah! There really is a leak! I took the car in this morning and they found the leak. Can't fix it until next week, but I can drive it as long as I remember to put more coolant in every day. I am so relieved. I really did NOT want to shop for a new car just now. I'm hoping this car will last a couple more years. Hopefully, this will be the last major trouble with the car, but I won't bet on it.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I'm glad the problem was the lesser of the evils.