Tuesday, January 19, 2010

a taste of spring

Yesterday the high temperature was 55 F! How about that? Today isn't quite as warm, but still delightful. I've been taking advantage of the lovely weather and getting outside. Yesterday, I walked to the supermarket and back - about 3 miles round trip. (Today my legs are sore. I can tell I haven't been walking much recently). Today, rather than another hike, I trimmed some of the dead plants in the front yard. I like to leave the stalks that have seeds on them all winter, hoping that the goldfinches and other small birds will come and dine. However, I had a number of other dead plants that needed trimming. Things look a bit neater out there now. I think these two warm days are all we are going to get just now. Supposed to be a lot colder by Friday. After all, it is January!

Nothing exciting happening just now. in my life, for which I am thankful. I think my car still has a leak in the coolant system. I'm not sure, but today I backed the car into my parking place, so that I have clean pavement under the front. Tomorrow, if I remember to look, I should be able to see if it's still leaking. I really don't want to have to replace the radiator or whatever, but don't know how long I can safely keep driving with just refilling the radiator every week. I have been planning to keep this car another year or two, but it keeps on having problems and I'm having second thoughts. Still, it's cheaper to keep repairing this one than buying a new one. Decisions, decisions. I'm not good at deciding to spend large amounts of money, now that I am retired. I still haven't bought a new computer, which is not really a large amount of money, compared to the cost of a new car!! I guess I'd better buy the computer and other things (like hearing aids) before I have to buy a car. Car payments will really put a dent in my budget.

Enough complaining. The weather has been lovely and most things in my life are going well. I'm just glad to be retired and healthy, with lots of interesting things to do with my time.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I had intended to get outside for a walk but didn't get around to it. I"m glad you enjoyed the warm weather and I'm sad it is leaving us already. *sigh* Good luck with your car situation.