Thursday, January 14, 2010

an uneventful week

I haven't blogged in almost a week because, although I've been busy, nothing of note has happened recently. I am not complaining about this. I rather like uneventful weeks. Mostly I've been getting caught up with 'business' matters that piled up during my 3 week holiday. I've been doing such interesting and fun things (NOT!) as balancing my checkbook, checking my credit card statements, and calling companies to resolve issues, etc.

Yesterday was a bit different. The heater in my car has been acting really strange recently. I thought it was maybe just because it's been so cold for weeks now, but I went ahead and made an appointment to take the car in on Wednesday afternoon. It's a good thing I did because, when I checked the level of the coolant, it was down to nothing in the visible container under the hood. It should have been close to the full mark. Leakage in the supposedly sealed coolant system has been a problem before. The garage hasn't found a leak, but I'm losing coolant somewhere. This time, they put some kind of sealant into the system. If there are pinholes in the line, this will fill them (or so they say). Evidently, adding coolant has fixed most of the heater problems. Yesterday when I picked up the car, the heater was working very well. There still isn't much, if any, heat on the floor on the driver's side, but they can't fix that. It's not the thermostat. Lots of heat on the passenger side floor. Too bad I can't drive from that side! LOL Anyway, the car is much warmer now and I'll just have to check the coolant level every few days and see if it goes down. I hope I can remember to do this. I tend not to remember that kind of thing, when it comes to my car. Oh well, at least it is working pretty well now. They can't fix the lack of heat by my feet, so I will continue to wear my snow boots in the car.

After I dropped my car off at the shop, I rode the bus home. It's only a few miles and the bus drops me off very near my street, but still I was concerned about having to wait in the cold for the bus. The bus only comes once an hour, so I go out early, to ensure that I will be there when the bus arrives. It often comes early, if there are no passengers waiting at previous stops. Luckily, yesterday in the early afternoon, the sun was shining and the temperatures felt warm. (They were actually only in the high 30s, but compared to what we've been having, that WAS warm.) I waited about 20 minutes outside, but didn't even feel cold. Today is sunny also. I'll be inside, however, at the hospital gift shop, so I won't care one way or the other.

No comments: