Saturday, February 6, 2010

be careful what you wish for







When Maryland got the big snow in December, I was in England. I remember saying that I wished I had been home for that. We seldom get much snow here and it would have been an adventure. Well, I'm getting my wish this weekend! It's beautiful outside! The snow and wind have turned my deck into a sculpture garden. Table and chairs, barbecue, garbage can, pots are all covered with a couple feet of snow and looks like wonderful works of art.

In the front yard, it's hard to recognize anything, although the big blob by the curb must be my car! I can't get the door open because there is snow blocking it. I can't see out the door very well because the wind blew the snow up against it and it stuck. When I first looked out front (about 7 AM), one of my neighbors was attempting to shovel out around a car. His/her sidewalk was already shoveled. I see now that the car is still covered. No point is clearing it out, as the street isn't plowed and nothing short of a snowmobile could travel on it!

I've been watching the juncos on the deck. They are small black and white birds, must not weigh much of anything, as they can walk on top of the snow drifts. I cleared a bit on top of the barbecue, right by the door, and put out some seed. They came immediately to dine. In a minute, I will go downstairs and put food out under the deck where (most likely) there isn't much snow.

Anyway, above are some photos of the "art gallery", usually known as the deck.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Beautiful pictures of snow. My son called and said they had 20 plus inches where he lives in Md. Looks as if the north has missed this one. Stay warm.
Sandy