Thursday, February 11, 2010

The worst is over, I hope

Good things happening today. It's been a beautiful day with blue skies and sunshine. The plow came by in the early AM. My neighbor helped me shovel out the snow blocking my car from the street. And now they are plowing the street again! Many of us moved our cars out to the main road, so that the plow could do its job properly. I suppose it's too much to expect no more snow for the rest of the winter, but it would be really great if we could have a couple of weeks without having to shovel any more of that white stuff. Of course, we are still worried about the huge snow overhangs on the corners of our roofs. These masses look as if they would fall at any time, but have been up there for almost a week. The important thing is NOT to be underneath when they do fall!

The roads in our development are pretty sloppy in places and tomorrow there will be icy spots, as the snow that melted today freezes overnight. Driving will be hazardous for several days, I think. However, the worst seems to be over. The federal government has been closed 4 days so far - the longest ever due to bad weather. I imagine it will be back in business tomorrow. I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to make decisions about going to work or not.

I heard something rather amusing on the news. It seems that last night, somebody in Laurel went up the road to the garage where the road maintenance equipment is kept and stole a vehicle with a plow on the front. He used it to clear his street and driveway. The police found it still parked in his driveway! Now that shows real nerve! Also a good deal of stupidity. Still, one can understand the impulse. It was hard waiting for the plows.

1 comment:

Pat said...

hahahaha.....the guy should have returned the plow and maybe nobody would have been the wiser!